Being in 4-H taught me so much. One of the things I learned that is very important for me today as a farmer is record keeping. Even though I really do not like doing paperwork, I know that keeping good records is very essential to my job as a farmer. In the 4-H I learned that having accurate records made the job much easier next year. Back then I had a pretty good memory, but now, it is important for me to write everything down or I forget. I guess I am getting older.
4-H also help me learn how to interact with other people, not only other members, but also members of our community. With events like June Milk Days, each member was asked to volunteer in the community to promote milk and dairy products. This gave us an opportunity to directly interact with each other and the community. It was fun learning. Looking at the 4-H website, they site the following statistics about youth involved in the 4-H clubs . . . . . . .
The Positive Development of Youth: Comprehensive Findings from the 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development is the first-ever research project of its kind. The decade-long study, completed by a team of researchers at the Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development at Tufts University, Medford, MA, is influencing research and practice around the world.
The report shows that 4-H youth excel beyond their peers. 4-H'ers are about:
- Four times more likely to make contributions to their communities (Grades 7-12);
- Two times more likely to be civically active (Grades 8-12);
- Two times more likely to make healthier choices (Grade 7);
- Two times more likely to participate in Science, Engineering and - Computer Technology programs during out-of-school time (Grades 10 – 12); and
- 4-H girls are two times more likely (Grade 10) and nearly three times more likely (Grade 12) to take part in science programs compared to girls in other out-of-school time activities.
I would like to encourage parents to talk with their children about joining the 4-H. It was a lot of fun for me and I believe I learned a lot by being a member. Here is our local office information:
1350 West Prairie Drive
Sycamore, IL 60178
Give them a call today!