Here are some questions that might help you decide if a CSA is right for you.
1. Do you like vegetables? Well, duh, but when you join a CSA, you will receive a ¼ - ½ or full bushel box of fresh vegetables every week. Fresh fruits usually comprise an occasional and relatively small amount of a CSA share. If you like your veggies, no problem!
2. Do you like to cook? If you like to cook and eat many meals at home, you'll appreciate the variety and freshness of the cooking
3. Do you like surprises? Many members say that part of the fun of being in a CSA is seeing what is in the box each week. We always try to include a balanced representation of the seasonal produce we are harvesting; you won't be surprised by a bushel of okra some week! But satisfied CSA members usually "go with the flow" and plan their meals around what is in the box, rather than requiring specific ingredients.
4. Do you like to try new vegetables? We often include share veggies that might not be widely popular or are from other cultures' cooking traditions. We include them because we like them and believe in their nutritional value. We will include recipes and suggestions in the box to get folks started with any unusual vegetables.
5. Would you like to feel a little closer to nature's cycles? CSA members experience the seasonal flow of the harvest; peas in June, squash in August. Depending on the weather, some crops will ebb, others may abound. Your box will reflect the season, the weather, and your farmer's "best shot" at handling the unexpected challenges that inevitably occur during the growing season.
6. Do you like to support local agriculture? The CSA marketing model helps the farmer by providing material support early in the growing season when there are many expenses but little income. Membership also represents a vote of confidence for the farmer and strengthens local agriculture through the increased awareness that members gain. CSA members form a community of support that encourages and stimulates local growers to learn and improve. Would you like to be part of this community of support?
Hopefully these questions have helped you decide!